Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Reasoning Behind (or in front of) Skiing

Just sitting down after a few weeks in serious flux, in between CT and VT, the computer a slightly foreign creature tugging at my attention like a tenous internet connection, it occurs to me that I would still rather be skiing.

As fascinating as the world's problems may be, and as attention consuming the solutions likewise are; it does not fail to amaze me the number of solutions and efforts appearing on the global and local scene like mushrooms after a rain. I only hope that the same ethic that drives me into the snow covered forest can find footing in a tumultous global situation that somehow manages to stave off global chaos with well thought out changes in human lifestyle and ambition. Rather than the ceaseless quest for more we shall engage in a fruitful quest for quality of life which acknowledges the value inherent in a) not creating larger amounts of suffering in the world to satisfy material needs and wants but also b) to engage with the world in a way that increases the positive, even evolutionary, impacts of our daily decisions.

Alas the sun is shining and the shiny box has held me answering emails for too long on such a day and I must away, though I shall return to finish an essay detailing the original subject of this post...

No comments: